Friday, March 16, 2012

Marbling paint onto vinyl tarp experiment.

A piece of backlit vinyl tarp is prepped with sanding and then I threw a bunch of marine paint on it and mixed it around with a palette knife. The paint is System Three's WR-LPU paint. I know that it is over-mixed and actually not that good looking at all. Next time I'll plan it out. There are a lot of videos out there showing interesting marbleizing/paint-over-water prints, a.k.a. ebru technique. Example

My main goal is to see if I can get good adherence. This paint peels off in one big, flexible layer if the substrate is not well-sanded. I'll sew it into a wallet if the paint sticks well enough.

Update: I tried to put it on my Cricut Expressions cutter, but the slight differences in height between painted and unpainted caused the wallet to skip as it cut, ruining it. My conclusion is that hand cutting would be better when using this type of painted tarp for wallets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment