Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Product photography and pricing.

Now that we are inside for the winter, here's my product photography setup. Don't laugh, my photography teacher uses desktop IKEA lamps and something to soften the light.  I don't have any tulle so you can see the reflections on the underlying tile.

I had a number of travel soap bags for a recent craft show that didn't sell, so now I am getting around to photographing them and listing them.

Recently, I read that one should value one's product as to what the market should bear rather than the hourly wage one wishes to make. That's because we arts-and-crafters get to work when we want, make what we want which has value as well.  The price can be found out by doing a lot of shows, by raising and lowering the prices until you find that sweet spot. However, I haven't had the opportunity to do a lot of shows so I don't really know what the market will bear for my travel soap bags. After all as far as I know, I'm the only one making these. Well, there were a group of buyers from Taiwan who bought some from me so they might be making them by now.  As soon as I see these in the dollar store then it's off to make something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment