Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My 1948 Singer sewing machine


My repairman said that my domestic sewing machine was like trying to use a volkswagen to pull a trailer when it came to sewing billboard vinyl. He recommended an industrial machine. Then I noticed that some older sewing machines were being sold as "industrial strength" machines on Ebay. When one came up for sale on Kijiji for a very reasonable price, I decided to go for it. An elderly woman was wanting it taken to the dump! All it needed was a bit of oil, some cleaning and adjusting, and it's working just great. It was a bit of a trick to figure out the bullet-shaped bobbin case, but I found a tutorial online. Consider these older machines when you want to sew heavy materials like canvas, denim or leather.

No comments:

Post a Comment